(In order of appearance in the Correspondences.)
- Shaun Donato, the first to be possessed in the series (though not chronologically).
- Status: Dead.
- Ross Meyer, friend of Shaun's.
- Status: Living on the run.
- Amy Hutchins, Shaun's girlfriend.
- Status: Dead.
- Samantha Cross, a mutual friend; threw the party where Shaun first saw the old woman.
- Status: Alive?
- Jennifer Brooks, a reporter whose articles appear in Correspondences 2 and 4
- Detective Peter Roberts and officer Leslie Bronson, found Shaun's body while investigating missing person's report in Correspondence 2
- Officer Darrel Sanders and Officer Nolan Lee, killed by Amy Hutchins in Correspondence 4
- Christopher and Caprice Ellis, the couple who moved into Shaun's house (Correspondence 5)
- Statuses: Unknown
- Steven Carter, their landlord
- John Mallard, Shaun's neighbour whose reddit posts were reposted as Correspondences 6 and 6.5
- Status: Dead?
- Eileen Donato, Shaun's mother, who e-mailed Shaun in 2002 in Correspondence 8
- Jason Peterson, who went to the Hell House and uploaded the photos to reddit with the username JasonPeterson (Revelations 1)
- Status: Dead or possessed
- Amanda Cooper, also went to the Hell House, moved to North Carolina (Revelations 2)
- Status: Alive (but not for long)
- Dr. Theodore Raymond, Amanda's therapist in Toronto
- Doctor Anne Hardwick, Amanda's therapist in Raleigh
- Daniel Sommers, Indiana University professor and author of Twenty-first Century Haunting (Revelations 4)
- Nicole Watts, Jason's girlfriend, who redditors e-mailed in Revelations 4.5
- Status: Missing
- Cindy Watts, Nicole's mother
- Tabatha Watts, Nicole's aunt
“Jason Peterson has a dog named Toast. He visited the Hell House in 2009 with Samantha Cross and...Jason Peterson
“Nicole Watts is the girlfriend of Jason Peterson. She lives with him in Canada, though from...Nicole Watts
“Had the earliest known contact with Abalam / the old woman / the demon, sometime in 2009 in...Samantha Cross